Band 6 Rehab Dietitian
NHS AfC: Band 6
- NHS AfC: Band 6
- Part time - 22.5 hours per week
- Pendle Community Hospital/Burnley General Hospital
- £33,706 - £40,588 pa
- 17/02/2023 23:59
At East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust our vision is to be widely recognised for providing safe, personal and effective care. We currently provide high quality services and treat over 600,000 people across East Lancashire and the surrounding area. We employ over 9,500 staff, many of whom are internationally renowned and have won awards for their work.
We are looking for an experienced and innovative Dietitian to lead on a new service development in rehabilitation care. Patients with long term conditions or requiring rehabilitation following illness or injury will make up your caseload. If you are looking for a new challenge, to lead and develop on the nutritional management of patients in the rehabilitation setting, with flexible working hours, this is for you.
Main duties of the job
The post holder would be responsible for the Dietetic care when patients have been stepped down from Royal Blackburn Hospital to Burnley General Hospital and Pendle Community Hospital. Burnley General Hospital provides general and specialist medical and surgical services. Pendle Community Hospital provides general rehabilitation and Specialist stroke rehabilitation. The successful applicant will work closely with the Band 7 team lead for stroke and the Stroke Therapy Team to provide best practice for recovering stroke patients.
Working for our organisation
The post holder would be part of the Acute Dietetic inpatient team who are based at Royal Blackburn Hospital. The base for this post would be Pendle Community hospital among the Integrated Therapy services which includes Speech and Language Therapists, Physiotherapist and Occupational Therapists. The team provide specialist rehabilitation to patients from the sudden onset of stroke right through the recovery process.
The post holder would be expected to support the wards at Burnley General Hospital and at times attend Royal Blackburn Hospital for team meetings and training. A shuttle bus operates between the main sites for easier access.
The Dietetic Department covers the hospitals and communities of East Lancashire has nearly 90 staff of which 45 of them are Dietitians supported by Dietetic Assistant Practitioners, Dietetic Assistants and a large admin team. The post holder would be expected to give clinical supervision and training and be a source of information in their specialist area not only to Dietetic staff but other health care professionals.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The department is an experienced trainer for Dietetic students on placement 1, 2 and 3 from Chester University, and we have recently expanded to provide placements to Manchester Metropolitan and the University of Central Lancashire.
The post holder would also be involved in the clinical training of Medical students and other Health Care professional students.
The Trust recognises the importance of work life balance. This post would suit an individual looking for flexible working hours and the pattern of working hours will be agreed with the successful post holder.
You will have a busy, rapidly changing clinical caseload, with nutritional support patients forming the majority of the caseload. There is a high frequency of enteral tube feeding so experience in this area is important. Patients may also be discharged on enteral tube feeding so the post holder will be responsible for organising a suitable discharge package and referring onto the Home enteral tube feeding team.
- BSc or MSc in Dietetics
- HCPC registration
- Clinical supervisory skills
- Post graduate relevant qualifications for Dietetics
- Recent post grad experience working in a ward setting
- Clinical supervision of Dietitians, Dietetic Support staff and students/apprentices
- Demonstrable evidence of ongoing CPD
- Experience working as part of an MDT
- Experience in enteral tube feeding
- Experience development services
- Experience working as part of a MDT team representing Dietetics
- Experience in working in stroke/rehabilitation services
skills and aptitude
- organisational and time management skills
- IT skills (competent in the use of Microsoft office applications)
- Competence in calculating nutritional requirements and developing nutrition care plans. comp
- Highly developed negotiation, persuasion, motivating, counselling and problem solving skills hi
- Clinically competent to give specialist nutritional support advice to patients and their support network
- Clinically competent to initiate and monitor complex enteral feed regimes.
- Ability to support Departmental/Trust guidelines and policies
- Ability to respond to unpredictable work patterns and frequent interruptions
- Ability to priorities own caseload effctively
- Effective working relationships with Dietetic team and MDT
- Positive approach to change
- Flexible. adaptable and creative
- Committeement to work across all ELHT service delivery areas as required
- Access to a car for work or the ability to manage alternative transport arrangements
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Tara Green
- Job title
- Dietetic Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01282 804700
- Additional information
Donna Douglas Clinical Lead Dietitian