Endoscopy Unit and Pre-assessment Manager
NHS AfC: Band 7
- NHS AfC: Band 7
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week (Over 7 days)
- Burnley General Teaching Hospital
- £41,659 - £47,672 PA
- 15/02/2023 23:59
At East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust our vision is to be widely recognised for providing safe, personal and effective care. We currently provide high quality services and treat over 600,000 people across East Lancashire and the surrounding area. We employ over 9,500 staff, many of whom are internationally renowned and have won awards for their work.
The role of the Band 7 Unit manager position in The Endoscopy Service at East Lancashire Hospital Trust is highly regarded. Endoscopy Services are functional on all three sites at the trust. The successful candidate will be expected to work across sites as required. The Burnley Endoscopy Unit carries out a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures and investigations over 7 days a week. As the local area grows there are higher demands on our services and as such, we have secured funding to add a further two Community Diagnostic Centre procedure rooms at the Burnley General Site. In addition we are in the position to start a Transnasal endoscopy service and we have already implemented an Endoscopy Pre-Assessment team. The successful candidate will be in the position to support departmental growth and have a real input into how the future of the endoscopy service will be at ELHT.
We deliver high standards of care to all our patients and are looking for a motivated person who will be able to lead our friendly and hard working team.
Main duties of the job
Function as the Team Manager for the Endoscopy Units at ELHT including the pre-assessment team. Responsibilities to include HR management, sickness/absence management, rostering, clinical duties and budgetary management.
A highly visible and accessible leadership approach will be expected.
The job role includes across site and working from home.
Engagement with the wider Trust agenda and attendance at divisional and directorate meetings will be vital as a key member of the leadership team.
Ensuring excellent communication between the management and wider team within the department, whilst maintaining professional boundaries.
As part of the team you will monitor and deliver consistently high standards of clinical and customer care in line with Trust and JAG requirements.
Lead the clinical nursing and clerical team including practice education facilitator, supporting them in resolving clinical and operational issues on a daily basis.
Improve clinical care standards, ensuring that the fundamentals of care are delivered as per National and Local policies and procedures.
Ensure patients are treated with privacy, dignity and respect and adhere to Trust values.
Ensure support services meet agreed standards and provide a clean environment for care.
Ensure best practice in clinical services through evidence based care.
Please See Full Job description
Working for our organisation
- Support the Senior leadership team in managing activity and achieving a balanced budget position.
- Responsible for the effective use and maintenance of all physical assets within the Endoscopy department.
- Co-ordinate Endoscopy utilisation and ensure optimum use of the sessions on a daily basis.
- Working with the Senior leadership team to identify strategic objectives for the teams.
- Working in conjunction with the endoscopy senior leadership team to develop annual service plans for the units in line with corporate, divisional and directorate objectives.
- In liaison with the team within Endoscopy, support the Operational manager in creating a partnership for policy development and implementation.
- Support effective processes for monitoring and managing elective and emergency activity, identifying when performance falls below set standards and take corrective action.
- Working with the Senior leadership team to review utilisation data and develop operational practices to maximise efficiencies.
- Work with the Senior leadership team to support the team in implementing and monitoring clinical governance processes to deliver continuous quality improvement focusing on fundamentals of care using agreed benchmarks.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- To provide leadership within the designated the Endoscopy team and support the design and delivery of clinical and non clinical services within them.
- Have daily contact with the team to assess and respond to clinical priorities and patient and staff concerns.
- Demonstrate a commitment to patient centred values and patient safety.
- Ensure all team members develop effective working relationships with the multi disciplinary team within endoscopy and the wider hospital to enhance the effectiveness of patient care and the efficiency of patient pathways.
- Responsible for achieving consistency of care standards within sphere of control, delivering safe and high quality care for all patients.
- Accountable for achieving rigorous adherence to infection control safety practices including hand hygiene and standard safety precautions.
- Act as a clinically credible role model. Maintain clinical knowledge and competence as appropriate. Act as a resource for the direct support and guidance of staff.
- Investigate complaints and incidents in accordance with trust policies. Provide appropriate responses and reports.
- Ensure that the physical environment promotes a positive image, clean, tidy and uncluttered.
- Responsible for standards of cleanliness in their clinical area.
- When standards are not met, responsible for escalating to the Operational Manager and managing the situation to drive forwards best practice.
- Ensure that all staff are aware of their responsibility for ensuring that cleanliness standards are maintained throughout their shift.
- Responsible for the establishment of a safe working environment for patients and staff.
- Responsible for the maintenance and safe custody of appropriate documentation i.e. care plans, theatre registers, implant records, IT systems.
- Support the endoscopy Matron with evidence submission, visits and inspections from JAG
- First Level Registered Nurse
- Evidence of continuing education and development
- Leadership or Management qualification/ experience
- Degree or equivalent qualification in healthcare related subject
- Gastrointestinal Endoscopy or related procedures course
Previous Experience/ Skills/ Knowledge / Abilities
- Substantial recent experience working at a senior nurse level in an acute environment
- Experience of leading/managing a team and good organisation skills
- Experienced in staff appraisal/sickness absence/HR management and rostering
- Proficient IT skills (Microsoft Office)
- Ability to plan and prioritise own and others workload and coordinate running of the unit
- Sound understanding of the Global Rating Scale, JAG and endoscopy service initiatives.
- Capacity and Demand Experience/knowledge
- Experience of delivering change management initiatives
Aptitude/ Personal Characteristics
- Strong leadership skills and self motivated
- Ability to demonstrate initiative
- Enthusiastic and assertive
- Diplomatic and calm
- Able to work flexibly across sites and with regards to 7 day working
- Willingness to undertake clinical training to become competent to work in Endoscopy Department.
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Christopher Russell
- Job title
- Endoscopy matron
- Email address
- Telephone number
If you have problems applying, contact
East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust