Medical Support Secretary - Respiratory
NHS AfC: Band 3
- NHS AfC: Band 3
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Royal Blackburn Hospital
- £20,330 - £21,777 per annum
- 11/07/2022 23:59
At East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust our vision is to be widely recognised for providing safe, personal and effective care. We currently provide high quality services and treat over 600,000 people across East Lancashire and the surrounding area. We employ over 8,000 staff, many of whom are internationally renowned and have won awards for their work.
An opportunity has arisen within the Respiratory Department for a suitably qualified Medical Support Secretary. This role is to support our team of Medical Secretaries providing cover for annual leave and sickness. We are looking for an enthusiastic and well -motivated member of staff who is a flexible team player.
The post holder will undertake a wide range of secretarial, administrative and clerical duties with specific responsibilities, including digital transcription of clinic letters and other correspondence. This role will involve considerable manual handling of some heavy loads.
You will be able to demonstrate excellent communication skills and be able to use your own initiative.
Experience of medical audio transcription and medical terminology is essential, as would experience of working in a busy, demanding office role. This is a demanding but rewarding role and an excellent opportunity for the right candidate to progress towards the role of Medical Secretary.
You will need to be calm under pressure and be able to prioritise and manage your workload, sometimes with minimal supervision.
Candidates should not apply for this role unless they meet the essential criteria.
Previous Applicants need not apply
Main duties of the job
To provide secretarial support and cover for the team of 5 Medical Secretaries and their 10 Consultants with their busy workloads within the Respiratory Department, this is needed on a daily basis and for during periods of annual/sick leave as appropriate.
Working for our organisation
The Consultant Respiratory Physicians diagnose and treat conditions affecting the respiratory (breathing) system, ie the nose, throat (pharynx), larynx, the windpipe (trachea), the lungs and the diaphragm.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- Typing and digital transcription of clinical letters, correspondence, reports and other documents to support the medical secretarial team.
- To prioritise administration workload ensuring deadlines are met on a daily basis providing a seamless administration service to the medical secretarial teams.
- Receive telephone enquiries with tact and discretion and have the ability to deal with these appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Receive, record and prioritise incoming and outgoing post, both paper and electronic, extracting relevant correspondence.
- Produce regular correspondence and documents to meet specific deadlines, using packages which may include Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and in-house computer packages.
- Retrieve patient results from ICE desktop in a timely manner and maintain systems for monitoring and retrieving outstanding investigations. Filing results once signed by the Consultant.
- To provide general administrative duties e.g. filing, faxing, scanning and photocopying.
- Tracking in/out medical notes.
- Requesting notes from medical records as appropriate.
- Ensure effective communication with all work colleagues, visitors and patients.
- Searching for notes following case note requests from Health Records.
- To cover consultants’ secretaries in their absence.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times ensuring that information is only divulged to authorised sources and by appropriate means.
- Input and extract data from patient administration system (PAS) and other relevant software programmes, which may be Trust-wide or speciality-specific.
- Cancelling/amending outpatient clinics in Consultant’s absence.
- Attend all mandatory training.
- GCSE English at ‘C’ grade or above
- RSA/OCR II Typewriting
- RSA/OCR II Word
- RAS/OCR Audio Typewriting stage II
- Or proven ability of an equivalent level of skill
- RSA/OCR Medical Audio-Typewriting stage II
- AMSPAR qualification
- Good keyboard skills
- Six months secretarial experience or AMSPAR certificate
- Ability to understand, absorb and comply with detailed procedures
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Audio-typewriting experience
- Proven communication skills
- Ability to work in a team and be supportive of team members
- Able to work to deadlines
- Proven ability to keep information confidential
- Proven ability to manage priorities under pressure
- Proven ability to use own initiative and work without close supervision
- Able to provide reasonable flexibility in terms of hours worked
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Joanne King
- Job title
- Medical Secretarial Supervisor - MEC
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01254 734371
If you have problems applying, contact
East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust