Endoscopy Validation Nurse
NHS AfC: Band 5
- NHS AfC: Band 5
- Fixed term: 12 months (ALSO AVAILABLE AS SECONDMENT)
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week (ALSO AVAILABLE AS SECONDMENT)
- Royal Blackburn Hospital
- £25,655 - £31,534 PA
- 18/07/2022 23:59
At East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust our vision is to be widely recognised for providing safe, personal and effective care. We currently provide high quality services and treat over 600,000 people across East Lancashire and the surrounding area. We employ over 8,000 staff, many of whom are internationally renowned and have won awards for their work.
An exciting and rewarding opportunity has arisen for one Endoscopy Clinical Nurse Validator to join our Endoscopy team.
You will be required to support the Endoscopy Team and Trust with the validation of the Endoscopy waiting list, whilst maintaining professionalism and confidentiality at all times.
In this role, excellent communication and organisational skills are essential and attention to detail will be key to succeed. The successful applicant must be able to work independently on their initiative but also be able work well within a team.
All of our work is underpinned by our five key values at ELHT:
- Put patients first
- Respect the individual
- Act with integrity
- Serve the community
- Promote positive change
Main duties of the job
The post holder will support the Trust to achieve the Endoscopy waiting list standards and undertake clinical validation of the Endoscopy waiting list, providing clinical knowledge and support to other members of staff.
The post-holder must provide and promote the highest possible standards of care based on professionally determined standards and accept accountability for the patient as an individual, providing autonomy within a team.
Working for our organisation
Established in 2003, East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust (ELHT) is a large integrated health care organisation providing high quality acute secondary healthcare for the people of East Lancashire and Blackburn with Darwen.
Our vision is to be widely recognised for providing safe, personal and effective care. We currently provide high quality services and treat over 700,000 patients a year from the most serious of emergencies to planned operations and procedures. We employ over 8,000 staff, many of whom are internationally renowned and have won awards for their work and achievements.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- Act as clinical lead as part of the Endoscopy Validation Team and provide clinical support and advice to others. To identify and act on obstacles preventing patients from having their endoscopy procedures.
- Demonstrate the ability to make decisions, solve problems and work autonomously whilst recognising own limitation and seeking advice and support
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills, and be comfortable to liaise at all levels in person or by telephone. Undertake validation of the waiting list by ensuring patients are fit for their procedures and have appropriate bloods and checks in place. Ensuring patients are fully informed of the planned treatment, including post endoscopy care and instructions. Provide answers to all patients’ queries and questions or escalate appropriately.
- Liaise with the MDT to support prevention of poor patient preparation, reduce failed attendance, and prevent errors causing delays, late starts to sessions or cancellations on procedure day.
- Liaise with the MDT to improve team working and communication between departments. To ensure referrals are made to appropriate professionals for further assessment or treatment where indicated, to optimize patients for their procedure.
- Liaising with internal and external agencies to optimize patient fitness.
- Support patients with advice regarding bowel preparation for colonoscopy procedures and liaise with clinicians to ensure validation of bowel preparation has occurred where required.
- Provide support to the endoscopy units when there is a clinical need to maintain clinical knowledge in endoscopy care.
- Take responsibility for managing own caseload and assist the Validation and Booking team in managing the PTL.
- Ensure that the correct equipment is available for uncommon procedures by liaising with the endoscopy nursing teams.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Endoscopy procedures and contra-indications.
- Taking charge in absence of more senior staff and supervise Validation Clerks
- Supporting cautious patients to make informed decisions about their procedure.
- Support the Endoscopy Booking management team and Endoscopy Validation Clerks to effectively book patients in a clinically prioritised order under the supervision from the Endoscopy Consultants and Nurse Endoscopy
- Attend and Lead meeting as requested by the Endoscopy Management teams.
- Responsible for own personal development through reflectiveness, self-evaluation and identifying own needs, together with the ability to take constructive feedback and action appropriately. Extend own knowledge through the N.M.C’s codes of professional conduct and participate in research and learning projects ongoing in the department
- Ensure all work is carried out in accordance to Trust and Departmental policies / procedures / standards / guidelines and protocols.
- Offer professional co-operation to medical / support staff in solving care related problems and carry out treatment as instructed to deliver quality care.
- Participate in the change process to meet future needs of the service.
- Be aware of procedure for complaints from relatives, patients and staff and inform the line manager of any untoward incidents and participate in the clinical incident reporting process.
- Participate in internal rotation within the unit assisting other areas according to need and personal competency.
- Promote integration of staff within the unit.
- Participate in raising the awareness, of patients attending the Endoscopy unit, of health promotion issues and the actions that can be taken to address issues, both general and specific to procedure carried out / diagnosis
- Registered Nurse – 1st Level
- Endoscopy related Qualification
- Recent Acute Hospital Nursing Experience
- Endoscopy/Gastroenterology experience
- Able to prioritise and plan own workload
- Proven ability to plan and comply with detailed procedures
- Clear and accurate written/verbal communication
- Good IT skills/Competent at Microsoft Office Programmes
- Able to speak effectively to colleagues, staff and patients via the telephone
- Demonstrate a sympathetic /sensitive approach and to be able to speak effectively to colleagues, staff and patients
- Proven ability to work in a team and independently
- HR processes/ Management skills or experience
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Christopher Russell
- Job title
- Endoscopy Matron
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01254 733557
If you have problems applying, contact
East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust