Band 6 Home Enteral Feeding Dietitian
- Band 6
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Royal Blackburn Hospital
- £33,706 - £40,588 pa
- 01/06/2023 23:59
At East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust our vision is to be widely recognised for providing safe, personal and effective care. We currently provide high quality services and treat over 600,000 people across East Lancashire and the surrounding area. We employ over 9,500 staff, many of whom are internationally renowned and have won awards for their work.
Are you a dietitian looking for a new challenge who is interested in Home enteral feeding? You may be a band 6 Dietitian looking to develop or broaden your skills or a band 5 Dietitian looking for a chance to gain some specialist experience? If so this is the post for you. Experience in enteral feeding is essential but training in home enteral tube feeding and MND can be given.
Main duties of the job
The post holder would join our team of home enteral feeding specialist Dietitians to support our adult home enteral tube feed patients and MND patients. We currently have over 200+ adult patients tube feeding at home. The home enteral feeding service is well supported by the Trust’s nutrition nurses and the contract nursing service.
The enteral feed contract for East Lancashire is a direct order tube feed contract managed by the Dietitians rather than through the prescription service. The post holder would be part of the Dietetic Community Nutritional Support team with their main base in Pendle and cover all the communities of East Lancashire.
The team is supported clinically with band 7 Dietitians, band 6 Dietitian specialists as well as rotational band 5 Dietitians, Dietetic Assistant Practitioners and Dietetic Assistants. Clinical supervision will be provided and peer support is available.
The post holder would also be expected to help manage, support and clinically supervise Band 5 rotational staff, support staff, and Dietetic students. The department offers the full student training programme and the post holder would be expected to be involved in clinically assessing and
teaching of students therefore experience in this area is desirable.
Working for our organisation
Established in 2003 East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust (ELHT) is a large integrated health care organisation providing high quality acute secondary healthcare for the people of East Lancashire and Blackburn with Darwen.
Our vision is to be widely recognised for providing safe, personal and effective care. We currently provide high quality services and treat over 700,000 patients a year from the most serious of emergencies to planned operations and procedures. We employ over 8,000 staff, many of whom are internationally renowned and have won awards for their work and achievements.
The Community Nutritional Support team is part of the wider Dietetic Department covering the hospitals and communities of East Lancashire. The department has nearly 90 staff, 45 of whom are Dietitians. The department covers many specialities and is known for its innovation and development.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The post holder would have a delegated caseload of home enteral feeding patients including Motor Neurone Disease patients. The post holder would also be expected to support a Dietetic Assistant practitioner at a small community hospital once a week as well as covered a specialist nutritional support clinic.
- BSc or MSc in Dietetics
- HCPC current registration.
- Clinical supervisory skills
- Post graduate Dietetic relevant qualifications
- Recent post graduate Dietetic experience in enteral tube feeding ( Acute or Community)
- Clinical supervision of Dietitians, Dietetic support staff and students
- Demonstrable evidence of ongoing CPD
- Experience of working as part of an MDT
- Experience in home enteral feeding and MND
- Experience working as part of a MDT Nutritional Support team
Skills & Aptitudes
- Organisational and time management skills
- IT skills (competent in the use of Microsoft office applications)
- Ability to interpret complex clinical conditions including biochemistry
- Competence in calculating nutritional requirements and developing nutrition care plans
- Highly developed negotiation, persuasion, motivating, counselling and problem solving skills
- Clinically competent to give specialist nutritional support advice to patients and their support network
- Clinically competent to initiate and monitor complex enteral feed regimes.
- Ability to support Departmental and Trust guidelines/policies
- Ability to respond to unpredictable work patterns and frequent interruptions
- Ability to prioritise own caseloads effectively
- Effective working relationships with Dietetic team and MDT
- Positive approach to change.
- Commitment to work across all ELHT service delivery areas as required.
- Access to a car for work or ability to manage alternative transport arrangements
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Tara Green
- Job title
- Dietetic Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Additional information
Jennifer Wilding Clinical Lead Home Enteral Tube feeding
01282 804700 (option 4)
List all jobs in Allied Health Professions or all sectors