Outpatient Clerical Officer/Receptionist
- Diagnostics & Clinical Services
- Band 2
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week (Monday - Friday 8am - 8pm)
- Royal Blackburn Hospital
- £20,270 - £21,318 pa
- 06/02/2023 23:59
At East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust our vision is to be widely recognised for providing safe, personal and effective care. We currently provide high quality services and treat over 600,000 people across East Lancashire and the surrounding area. We employ over 9,500 staff, many of whom are internationally renowned and have won awards for their work.
At East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust our vision is to be widely recognised for providing safe, personal and effective care. We currently provide high quality services and treat over 600,000 people across East Lancashire and the surrounding area. We employ over 8,000 staff, many of whom are internationally renowned and have won awards for their work.
The job is for outpatient receptionist based at Royal Blackburn Hospital. Candidate must be flexible, general working hours would be between 9-5, will change on a Rota basis to 8-4 when trained on a reception area. We must advertise as 8-8 as occasionally we may be asked to run evening clinics with cover, where the candidate must be flexible to accommodate, should this occur. Candidate may be asked to cover other peripheral sites if needed
We have a fantastic team of people who are conscientious, caring, reliable, flexible and compassionate, all qualities which are essential to the NHS.
If you want to be part of this team and have the necessary skills, we would like to meet you.
The post holder will be responsible for the provision of a comprehensive and efficient Reception/Health Records Service to patients/service users within the East Lancashire Health Community, ensuring a high level of Customer Care whilst maintaining confidentiality at all times.
Main duties of the job
East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust provides a range of health care services primarily for the people of East Lancashire, which comprises of the Boroughs of Blackburn, Burnley, Hyndburn, Pendle, Ribble Valley and Rossendale. Our Trust aims to provide appropriate, high-quality personal and organisational development interventions, which will improve patient care.
Provision of a comprehensive, professional and efficient Outpatient Service to patients/service users within the East Lancashire Health Community, ensuring a high level of Customer Care whilst always maintaining confidentiality. Together with clerical/admin experience, keyboard skills, a polite and pleasant manner, you will be part of this team.
This is a very challenging and physical environment including some manual handling.
General Duties will include the following:
· Prepare clinic case notes with specific attention to the data items required for commissioning purposes and data quality in line with the Trust’s Clinical Records Policy, ensuring that all appointment details are entered onto the Patient Administration System (PAS)
· Arrange when necessary the attendance of interpreter/link workers for patients who require communication assistance when attending clinics.
· Booking in patients attending outpatient clinics and issuing return appointments as directed by the consultant/nursing staff prior to the patient leaving the Department.
· Request and ensure delivery of health records for patients either attending a clinic or an admission, from all departments within this Trust and other hospitals.
· Prioritise own workload ensuring agreed timescales are met each day involving the provision of case notes.
· Adhere to departmental policies and procedures and participate in audits in order to maintain data quality and provide an efficient service
· Maintain the confidentiality of any information obtained regarding patients and be aware of Data Protection and Freedom of Information policy
· Work within the departmental shift patterns to cover the opening hours of the service, i.e. 8.00am – 8.00pm as and when required, including Bank Holidays
· Act as first point of contact for all patients and visitors to the Department, providing a comprehensive reception and clerical Service to patients, relatives, carers, consultants and their teams
Working for our organisation
Established in 2003 East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust (ELHT) is a large integrated health care organisation providing high quality acute secondary healthcare for the people of East Lancashire and Blackburn with Darwen.
Our vision is to be widely recognised for providing safe, personal and effective care. We currently provide high quality services and treat over 700,000 patients a year from the most serious of emergencies to planned operations and procedures. We employ over 8,000 staff, many of whom are internationally renowned and have won awards for their work and achievements
- English Language and Maths GCSE, Business Administration/ Customer Care NVQ Level 2 or equivalent.
- Previous experience in a customer care environment.
Knowledge and Skills
- IT/ Keyboard skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in order to deal with all disciplines on the telephone using empathy and negotiating skills
- Ability to demonstrate confidentiality and sensitivity when dealing with the public.
- Willingness to work across the departmental shift patterns to cover opening hours of the service, i.e. between the hours of 8am – 8pm; including evenings
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Elizabeth Llewellyn
- Job title
- Deputy Outpatient Reception Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01254 732010